Make certain that all of your pet’s records are accessible in one place. These records should include the vaccination record, license number, microchip type and number, emergency contact information for you and your veterinarian, and a photograph just in case your pet goes missing in your absence.
* Provide your veterinarian with a treatment authorization in the event that an emergency occurs while you are away and you cannot be reached for authorization.
* Make sure there are current identification tags and license attached to your pet’s collar.
* Make sure that there is enough pet food and supplies in case you are away longer than planned. Leave pet food and supplies in one place.
* Leave a key with a trustworthy neighbor or relative as a backup, and give him and your pet sitter each other’s phone numbers. Be sure those extra keys work before giving them out.
* Make sure that you have shown the pet sitter your home’s important features such as the circuit breaker, thermostat, and security system.
* Make sure to notify your pet sitter when you have arrived home.